When will CHIEF close?
After 30 years, HMRC’s
current Customs Handling of Import and Export Freight (CHIEF) system will be
replaced with the Customs Declaration Service (CDS). The CHIEF system will
close for new import declarations from 30 September 2022 before the final and
total closure at the end of March 2023.
From 1 October 2022, all
import declarations must be made using the Customs Declarations Service. Whether your business makes declarations inhouse or via
an intermediary/customs agent, HMRC urges you to make your move to
CDS now to continue trading. It can take some time to complete the preparation
needed, and the sooner you start, the easier it will be.
Is it possible to continue
submitting import declarations on CHIEF after 30 September?
HMRC is aware that some traders may not be able to migrate in time. CHIEF badge holders with a clear business reason are allowed to seek permission for a short extension to use CHIEF beyond 30 September. Traders need to apply using the following online form: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/ask-to-continue-to-use-customs-handling-of-import-and-export-freight-chief-from-1-october-2022.
Those that successfully apply
for an extension will be provided with help and support to move to the Customs
Declaration Service as soon as possible. Without permission, if businesses
continue to use CHIEF from 1 October 2022 without permission, HMRC reserves the
right to remove their access.
What are the benefits of
the Customs Declaration Service?
The Customs Declaration
Service saves businesses time by:
- Allowing you to submit customs documents digitally and safely using the Secure File Upload service
- Providing access to all your financial information in a single financial dashboard where you can view account statements, make payments and control standing authority
- Giving real time notifications and alerts on all your customs declarations and movements
- Allowing you to manage your business finances by opening a duty deferment account, make payments by card or bank transfer enabling your goods to clear without delay
Support to help you make
Thyme-IT has a team of experts ready to answer all your
questions and help make the move easier for your business. You can contact
us at + 44 161 710 1890 or + 353 1 2060010 or send us an
email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can find more information about using the Customs Declaration Service here: Customs Declaration Service.
To help businesses and
agents plan their move to the Customs Declaration
Service, HMRC has published step-by-step checklists.
If you need extra help and
guidance to meet their customs obligations, you also have the option to
watch videos and recorded webinars on
topics like imports, exports, rules of origin, and import or export